[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

Miville-Deschenes mamd at cita.utoronto.ca
Wed Sep 22 14:53:50 CEST 2004

Dear Barth

I know that if you do "read to end" at 100Hz you
will bring your machine down.
This is not the point here (or if it just switch automatically
to "count from end" mode when new data are comming in).
For Planck we are monitoring more than 2000 parameters
and some have a very low sample rate (1 Hz or less).
And in some cases you may want to be in "read to end" mode
even when you are live. And in this case the fact that
"play" switch automatically to "count from end" is an
expected feature. I don't see the problem here. Is it a
big thing not to switch mode when we don't ask for it ?
And by the way I think there should be only one button
that switch from "pause" to "play" when you hit it.
It is very misleading to have two buttons in the bar. I never
know which one to hit to go back to "play".

Marc-Antoine

On Wed, 22 Sep 2004, Barth Netterfield wrote:

> It changes to 'count from end'.
>
> The usage case it evolved from is:
> You experiment has been running and logging data for 10's of hours...
>
> You are looking at the last 30minutes.
>
> You pause/go back one screen/change frame ranges to look at some recent
> historical stuff.  When you are done, you want to go back to live mode.
>
> You have two choices:
> i) Read to end (which will bring your machine down if you leave it that way
> for the next day, since the data keeps coming at 100Hz x 64 channels)
> ii) Count from end (which assumes that the length of your current window is
> the length of the window your want, but you want to be looking at the most
> recent data...)
>
> (ii) makes sense most often (at least for us), so that is what we do.
>
> cbn
>

> On September 22, 2004 12:07 pm, Marc-Antoine Miville-Deschenes wrote:
>> But what does the Play button do ? I don't understand
>> what is its use .
>>
>> On 22-Sep-04, at 1:40 PM, George Staikos wrote:

>>>   I believe what you are expecting is that the "Play" button does
>>> "unpause".
>>> In fact you have to hit the "Pause" button again to get that behaviour.
>>>
>>> --
>>>
>>> George Staikos
>>> Staikos Computing Services Inc.      http://www.staikos.net/
>>
>> Marc-Antoine Miville-Deschenes
>> Institut d'Astrophysique Spatiale
>> tel.: 01 69 85 86 78 ou 01 69 85 85 89

|- Marc-Antoine Miville-Deschenes
|- Canadian Institute for Theoretical Astrophysics
|- www.cita.utoronto.ca/~mamd/
|- Tel: (1) 416 978 1775