[Kst] Strings

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Oct 26 05:00:52 CEST 2004

  I added the String type to plugins today.  I went with my second
implementation (KstString instead of KstStringIface) because it fits better
with scalars.  I'm not sure it's the right choice yet, but Marc-Antoine and
the others at IAS really need this functionality badly so I need to provide
them with at least the ability to use strings with plugins and display
strings in labels or via DCOP.  I didn't add any more implementation than
necessary so we can more easily wipe it out or redo it if there is a better
route.

   What are KstStrings?  Basically equivalents to KstScalars.  They look and
behave in an identical manner and even share namespace.  They store a QString
instead of a double, obviously.

   There is a little race in KstPlugin I think - that is, that it stores
the .latin1() of a QString as it calls into the plugin, and if this changes
meanwhile, it will invalidate that memory.  I have to make it do a deep copy
of the string, which I may get to tonight.

   Now the question is, where do strings belong in Kst, what should they
do/not do, and is this (current one) a good approach?