[Kst] New Idea for Filters

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Oct 21 02:48:30 CEST 2004

I've been thinking about filters a bit more and I think I have an idea that
will make it both easier to integrate them into Kst, and both easier and more
powerful to develop them.  Right now we have a node <filter> that indicates
that a plugin can be used as a filter.  However it doesn't allow any
flexibility in which vector is input, which is output, etc.  I think this
node should be removed, and we should put attributes on the input and output
nodes instead.  Then it will be clear where the filter happens (from input X
to output Y).  It makes it easier to use plugins in equations too, since
plugins there are effectively filters and nothing more (though I do see a
usage case for "scalar filters").  The code would be able to automatically
determine which parameter should be filled and read back, and the rest could
even be filled or sent as null when operating in filter mode (except for
scalars).  Does this sound like a good idea?