[Kst] Re: time display

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Oct 7 17:49:05 CEST 2004

Cool!

This is the correct approach I think.

I like the layout of the dialogs.

-Is there a way of using the user's locale to select the default display?  Or
should just be a sticky default like we do with 'vectorDefaults?'
-I think there should be an option for 'current locale' as well as the hard
coded options.
-Would it be a good idea to use some huristics to set the time interpretation
default based on the plot ranges (1012004110-1012024110 is almost certainly a
ctime, not a JD).
-are there more options that might be useful?
	-hh:mm:ss (ie, no date)
	-A format which uses 'January' or 'Jan' rather than 01
-would it be a good idea to be able to select the units of the offset time
[+200]  (ie, decimal days, decimal hours, etc rather than seconds).  Or could
this be automatically selected.

The offset time approach seems pretty good to me if we are in Date Time mode.

The rule for where [+0] should be: the date/time which has the most zeros
starting from the LSField.  (ie, 2003/01/00 00:00:00 prefered over 2003/12/31
00:00:00, preferred over 2003/12/31 00:00:10).
This means that where the +0 will go is dependent on how it is being displayed
(JD may be different than DATE-TIME)
In Date Time mode, if we are so lucky as to have a field which has 00:00:00
for time, this could be dropped.

I suspect we are going to be changing this for a while as we see what works
well and what doesn't.  It is a non trivial problem.

cbn