[Kst] KST on a Mac

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Oct 6 16:35:42 CEST 2004

On Tuesday 05 October 2004 23:10, Douglas Scott wrote:
> I've been trying to install KST on my Mac lap-top, and finding it more
> tricky than I'd expected.  I know that George Staikos managed to install
> it on his, so perhaps he can help?  As a general point, since Macs are
> becoming more common for unix-type users, there needs to be a clear
> description for how to install on a Mac.

   Yes I did, as did Marc-Antoine.

> Here's what I did so far (although not originally in this order!):
> 1. Install the "Devloper Tools" so I have gcc
> 2. Get the "Fink" application manager
> 3. Use Fink to get KDE and QT binaries and all dependent things
> 4. Get cfitsio
> 5. Compile cfitsio (which was more or less painless)
> 6. Get KST
> 7. Try to install KST

  Looks good so far.

> At this point it turned out that I had to add "/sw/bin" to my path
> (which is done with a slightly different syntax than expected!) because
> that's where kde-config is put.
>
> Then when I try to run
> .configure --prefix=/usr
> I get the following output which then gets stuck trying to find X includes.
> What do I do next, and how can we simplify this for future KST users?

  First issue, you should use --prefix=/path/to/wherever/kde/is/installed

This is important because Kst needs to be able to find its plugins.

> checking for snprintf... yes
> checking for X...

  if it ended here, then likely Xlibs weren't found.  Can you check that the X
developer libraries are installed, and if so, send me the config.log that is
generated by configure?