[Kst] 92610 - new view philosophy

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Nov 4 15:07:31 CET 2004

On Thursday 04 November 2004 05:42, George Staikos wrote:
> On Thursday 04 November 2004 05:06, George Staikos wrote:
> > On Wednesday 03 November 2004 22:09, Andrew Walker wrote:
> > > This one is even better as it also works for nested plot groups.
> >
> >   Why is it better?  You need to explain this in order to review it
> > properly...
> >
> >    Furthermore, deleting the child objects in deleteObject() is wrong.
> > It promotes the _parent problem that I'm constantly trying to remove.
> > (It assumes that there is exactly one parent of each child.)
>
>    This whole thing is messy and needs a rethink and reworking.  Most
> importantly these two methods (removeChild() and deleteObject() need to be
> clearly defined).  I'll try to come up with something over the next few
> hours.

   The parent pointer has become quite a pain, and is the root of all these
problems.  This patch changes the parent pointer to a raw pointer instead of
a shared/smart pointer.  This is somewhat dangerous in general, but I think
it's relatively safe since all parents must have a parent anyway, which will
have a smart child pointer.  I tested it quite thoroughly here and haven't
seen any problems.  Users are having issues with crashes with the current
code in CVS, so this patch is quite urgent.  I think this is the right design
to solve the [real] problem.