[Kst] Kst "projects" vs files

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Mar 17 04:36:33 CET 2004

   There have been several requests for various mechanisms to do things like
load in data with a kst file, then switch the "kst file" without switching
the data, or switch the data without switching the "kst file".  I was
thinking that there might be a solution to this with a slightly different
mentality.  Background:

- You can already switch data very easily using "indirect files".
- Kst files are handy because they separate the data from the view/structure,
and are editable.
- We have no good way to create new data and attach it to a Kst file cleanly.
- We don't want data inside Kst files since it breaks the data-independence
and makes Kst files big and inefficient.

   Why not take an approach similar to what IDEs do, using a "project" and
associated files?  We could then have these concepts:

- Kst Project - a tar.gz stream of some or all of the below - probably not
commonly used, but convenient for transporting.
- Kst Project File - describes a list of .kst files, data files/sources, and
kst style sheets
- Kst file - same as we have now, slightly restructured to more clearly
separate data logic from style/output logic.  Actual styling would go into
something analogous to a style sheet as seen on the web.
- Kst Style Sheet - another XML file that describes the output to generate
from a set of data objects.  can also exist as content embedded in a Kst
file, and can be dynamically changed at runtime.
- Data files - the usual

  Now if the user creates vectors at runtime, they can be stored as data files
on disk and registered in the Kst project file.

   Does this sound useful and sensible?