[Kst] kdeextragear-2/kst/kst

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Mon Jun 28 05:03:43 CEST 2004

On June 27, 2004 22:29, C. Barth Netterfield wrote:
> On Sunday 27 June 2004 09:48 pm, George Staikos wrote:
> > //        pass the view pointer along.  Also use
> > //        of this member indicates a bug since
> > //        objects can have multiple parents.
>
> IIRC, we decided that view objects will not have multiple parents, since
> many of the view object properties (position, size, etc) as well as the
> back buffer are view dependent - so multi parent plots doesn't make sense.
>
> Thoughts?

   In the view hierarchy, yes, we don't have any objects with multiple parents
at this point.  However I don't see a reason to prevent it, and it will let
us do all kinds of interesting things in the future.  For instance, we could
assemble temporary views of object trees without needing to copy objects.
These could be used, for example, for prettier printing.  We could also use
this to mirror objects across windows later if we want - it might not be
plots, but maybe some other view objects will find this applicable.  Already
size and position are effectively relative; it doesn't take much more work to
make them completely relative to their parents.  The decision that we did
make was effectively about objects existing in multiple windows, not the
parent pointer.  The reason not to allow plots in multiple windows was
primarily to get the new code done quicker, but I still left most of the
architecture in place and I had mentioned at one of our meetings that I would
keep it there and maintain most of it for the time being.  Now, the reason
that the event handler methods all took a view pointer is because I was
avoiding walking the tree, avoiding the parent pointer, etc.  It allows us
flexibility in the future.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/