[Kst] Re: Data Wizard issues (long post !)

Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com
Wed Jun 23 12:31:57 CEST 2004

If I may express my personal opinion, I'd also favor changing the embedded
dialog for at least 2 reasons:
1) appearance
2) functionality: it would be very nice to provide for simultaneous handling
of more than one data file, and I think the space used by the embedded dialog
could be saved and used for a list of selected files and their properties.
Let me develop that point a bit (long post, you've been warned !)...

As I believe the datawizard is an essential part of the user's experience with
a plotting tool, I think it deserves special care. I have some
inspiration/experience on that topic, and I'd like to share some thoughts
with you...

I don't know if you remember a previous post of mine to this list regarding
gaiw (the "Grace ASCII Import Wizard"), which is an open-source qt-based tool
I wrote with a couple of other people to complement xmgrace. For more
information on gaiw, see http://gaiw.sf.net (not completely up-to-date but
still relevant). As I said before, its coding is ugly (it was my first
attempt at coding, please be forgiving) but I believe the usability is quite
good, and a lot of my colleagues use it on a daily basis and like it a lot.
In fact, most complaints I get relate to Grace's usability !
Now, I no longer plan to improve gaiw as I believe kst (especially with an
integrated import wizard) has a lot more potential than Grace, but I'd like
to see some of its features ported to kst's datawizard.

Before giving more details, I'd like to explain what we typically use gaiw for
and what the user requirements were:
1) quickly load data into xmgrace from any ascii file format
2) easily organize curves into plots, with as few restrictions as possible:
curves in a given plot may come from different files or have different x
values, and their number is not arbitrarily limited
3) comparing data from different files should be specially easy: if you've
performed 2 experiments with different configurations and recorded the same
data in both cases, it should be very easy to define plots with data coming
from the two files (that's the "Common variables" mode in gaiw: e.g. when you
click on 'VAR1', it creates a plot with 2 curves, VAR1 from file1 and VAR1
from file2)
4) the plots/curves should be created in xmgrace with sensible defaults
(line/symbol options and legends).

I attached 3 screenshots of the most recent version of gaiw (not yet uploaded
on the web site) to give you a better idea of the functionalities. As you'll
surely notice, a lot of things somehow resemble kst's datawizard. It is not a
many-page wizard with back/next buttons, but instead has three tabs:
- (Plot) Definition, where most of the action takes place
- Plot options, which is used to preset a number of options that might
otherwise be cumbersome to change afterwards from within Grace
- File options, which is there so that gaiw can work on basically any
(possibly compressed) ASCII file.
By the way, it would be nice if the ASCII datasource allowed to set the
options in the "ASCII File Format" group: number of header lines, line
holding field names, optionally line holding units... I've looked at the code
and it is not obvious where these options could be "plugged in", even the
code to retrieve field names and units in itself is quite simple.

>From all these options, a lot are linked with Grace usability problems and can
be left out. I think the following are relevant for kst's datawizard (with a
hint at where I'd integrate them):
invoke kfiledialog+table or listview with file list and options, I have a
precise idea of it and I'll make a .ui mockup in the coming days)
- organizing curves into windows/plots (second step in the wizard, which could
be based on a simplified version of gaiw's plot definition tab). By querying
the list of windows and plots/curves for each window, the list can be
initialized. Then a couple of buttons allow to add curves in the selected
plot, a new plot or one per plot. This replaces the current "Curve placement"
group in the third step of the wizard.
- basic options (third step in the wizard, lines/symbols + auto-differentiate
on width, color, style).

I hope you'll be interested in these ideas. Feel free to make comments and/or
implement these ideas :-) I'll try to prepare a mockup to clarify things.

Nicolas