[Kst] Re: filters and stuff...

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Wed Jun 2 18:41:47 CEST 2004

A) I think filters should be plugins.
B) Filtersets should be (inherit from?) plugins.
C) There needs to be an 'apply filter' widget/dialog which can apply any one
filter (including 1 filter set).  This will be used in datawizard, and in
various curve related context menus.
D) there needs to be a widget/dialog to define filter sets which are chained
filters.  Similar to the current filter set dialog.

If we ignore the concept of filter sets, then filters are just a subset of all
plugins which can be used with a reduced/tuned user interface, but which
appear in the data manager, etc exactly as any other plugin.  The concept is
parallel to fits.

I imagine that filter widget (C) will look a lot like the current plugin
dialog, in that the input parameters (except the vector you are filtering
which will be fixed) are all defined here, etc.

QUESTION: should the parameters for filter sets be set in the filter set
creation dialog, or when they are used.

ANSWER: Perhaps if one is chaining filters, one already has in mind the values
for all of the parameters.  So these parameters are fixed for a given filter
set.  So a filter set looks like a parameterless filter (1 in, 1 out) in all
plugin UI's.

QUESTION: given the above, if one edits the parameters of an existing/used
filter set, do the vectors which are using it change to match the new
parameters?  (Sort of like reaching down into the plugin an recoding it mid
stream....)

ANSWER: yes.