[Kst] Image data type

Rick Chern rchern at interchange.ubc.ca
Wed Jul 21 21:35:45 CEST 2004

Barth Netterfield wrote:

>Schedule:
>I am *very* hesitant to start down this path now.  There is a lot to consider
>and get right, and I would much rather have us focusing on a high quality 1.0
>release!  But.... if you are sure you can do this without jeprodizing 1.0....
>perhaps (gulp!)  Can you have something mainly working in 1 week?

Actually, I am not sure how long it will take, but would it be okay if I
hid the parts of the user interface relating to images before the
release, if it is not complete (mainly just removing the "Image" button
from the data manager, and altering the plot dialog)?  Currently I am
able to create images through the data manager, and add them to plots
using the plot dialog.  However, I am just starting on the plotting of
images, and I agree there is a lot to think about and work out.

>On July 20, 2004 02:00 pm, Rick Chern wrote:
>

>>I am currently working on an Image data type.  Description of images:
>>- images will be specified by three vectors, representing x, y, and z
>>

>So you intend to support un-gridded data.... What is your binning policy going
>to be?  What do you do about over-sampled maps?  about undersampled maps?
>How will you decide on gid density?

I am not sure yet - in fact I think I may work with gridded data first,
and see how that goes.

>>- it is up to the user to make sure the three vectors selected make
>>sense as an image
>>

>What does this mean?

For now, I think this just means the three vectors need to be the same
length.

>>- images will be plotted on the 2D plot, using colours/shades to represent
>>z - only 1 image can be plotted per plot
>>

>What will the colour-scale interface be?  Also, one might want to show
>multiple images covering different parts of the XY space, or to have a colour
>map under a contour plot.  So I wouldn't limit to one image per plot.

Would contour plots be a separate data object from colour maps?  I think
I will focus on getting 1 colour map plotted correctly first, and then
add the ability to have multiple maps.