[Kst] What do view objects really need?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Tue Jul 20 04:50:51 CEST 2004

As far as the pixmap goes, what do view objects really need?  I just committed
a change that makes them 16bpp, and I was even considering going as low as
8bpp.  Does this make sense?  Are we even making use of this much colour
space in each individual view object?  I think we can survive with 8bpp in
most cases, especially once labels are turned into proper view objects.  Then
I would consider making the depth of the buffer a parameter to the backbuffer
class (labels will want something more than 8bpp to have cleaner antialiasing
I think).

Also, Barth, does the MemoryOptim make a difference for you on the machine
that experiences pixmap pressure?  Trying to reduce the pixmaps was the best
that Jim Gettys could come up with when we talked about it for a few minutes.
He doesn't think hoping for client side rendering to help is very realistic
(or ideal).  If MemoryOptim doesn't help, I'd like to convert it to something
more buffered.