[Kst] Re: Kst - parameter lists and events

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Sat Jul 17 00:38:00 CEST 2004

On Friday 16 July 2004 15:33, Barth Netterfield wrote:

> -Avoid changes to vectors and scalars. They shouldn't be needed.
>
> George, Rick, do you have thoughts?

    My last email outlines my only concern, other than also avoiding changes
to KstVector and KstScalar.  One thing I have thought about for a while is
caching the statistics in KstVector to make equations and other objects which
use them a bit faster.  The performance hit is noticeable - I measured it to
be significant in the past.  This would allow us to reduce the impact of
making scalars optional on KstVector too.

> My experience with alarms has been that they are really hard to get right,
> even with a stand alone alarm program.  I think that email and elog events
> will be nearly impossible to make generally correct within kst.  Perhaps we
> need a stand-alone?
>
> What is your plan?  (I'm stuck here).

  One big concern I have is that the I/O  code should use KIO.  I could never
even test the email functionality because the one in there just won't work
with my network setup (encryption, different ports, AUTH, etc).  Likewise for
the HTTP code.  It also makes us responsible for the security issues, whereas
KIO has been auditted and reauditted many times over.