[Kst] Big issue with many plugins

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Thu Jul 8 19:10:13 CEST 2004

Sorry this is so delayed in coming.... I hope I'm missing something.

Many of the plugins (in particular the fit plugins) return their parameters as
vectors, which may be handy from a plugin writing point of view, but is
disasterous from the point of view of using them...
The problem is, they are lists of scalars, not vectors.  So:

	-Doing it this way, the scalar  list gets filled with automatic statistics
scalars about them (their mean, sd, max, min, etc) which are entirely
meaningless.

	(More important): There is no way within kst (short of exporting the vectors)
of seeing the values of any of the parameters.  Want to know the slope?  too
bad...

	Given these two things, it would be slightly better to not have the
parameters at all. So we need a fix.

	Short time scale fix:
		Convert all the vector lists that we really want (eg, fit parameters, chi2)
into individual scalars, and delete the non-critical ones (eg, covars).  We
should *never* return a list of numbers as a vector.

	Long time scale fix: make up a new type which is a list of scalars, and
include a way to access them in labels, etc.

Resolving this is a very high priority.