[Kst] New equation parser and interpreter

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Thu Feb 12 18:44:11 CET 2004

I rewrote the equation parser and interpreter today and I think the
preliminary results speak for themself:

kst: Trying my parser on [2*sin(x)*cos(x) + 0.95e-1-10*log(2)].
kst: Parsing time: 0
kst: Execution time: 890000         <--------- new interpreter
kst: FillY <<<<<<<
kst: Execution time: 6840000        <--------- old interpreter
kst: FillY >>>>>>>

   That's about 13% of the previous time required to interpret an equation
across one million data points - it's over 7 times faster!  Those units are
in clock_t.  I expect this number to change as I finish implementing it
because this was not calling sin(), cos(), or log() - that's not implemented
yet.  Those just return 0.  However I think this is very promising.  Actually
it's possible to make it faster than my implementation too, but I'm not sure
it's worth the extra effort.