[Kst] RE: Kst Digest, Vol 12, Issue 33

Barth Netterfield netterfield at astro.utoronto.ca
Wed Apr 28 22:36:30 CEST 2004

On April 28, 2004 04:26 pm, Andrew Walker wrote:
> I still believe that at some point
> we have to confirm all memory allocations and fail
> gracefully where necessary.

In our case, I tend to agree, assuming it can even be done.

George,  do you know the state of checking for memory allocations in modern
linuxes... I seem to remember that in the past, you could get success on
malloc, but fail on use.  Since we are an app that may suddenly (and
reasonably some might say) ask for more memory than exists, it really would
be great to generate a graceful 'I'm sorry dave...' and keep running, rather
than the typical bring down the system as often happens in linuxland.