[Kst] Event detection in kst ?

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 19:57:43 CEST 2004

On April 7, 2004 10:05, Nicolas.Brisset at eurocopter.com wrote:

> I've built kst-0.94 recently and played with it a bit. It looks really good
> and I'm hoping it can soon replace xmgrace, whose interface is really
> clumsy and not so usable even though the feature set is nice :-) I'm
> currently building kst 0.97 to see how it has changed...

   Great!  0.97 has some enhancements, including a wizard for quickly loading
large amounts of data.  You'll also get the much improved equation
interpreter - it's quite a bit faster.

> Speaking about all this, one feature I often miss (in xmgrace and other
> plotting programs) is a "event detection" feature. When you have huge
> datasets (like hundreds of variables and thousands of samples for each of
> them), it is not feasible to look at everything. What we want to do is have
> an "event scanner" look for specific events in the data, and make a small
> report containing among others the time at which an event occured. We can
> then use this information to investigate more closely what happens around
> that time.
> It is a kind of datamining operation, where events would be "raising edge
> on boolean Bool1" or "Var1 and Var2 differ by at least 1.5", etc. You get
> the idea...
> I was wondering whether this is planned (or already implemented :-)) ?

   This is already mostly implemented.  It should be activated in the next
release.  Actually I think 0.97 has the required hook for the feature and a
demo GUI written in Javascript that was not really functional or usable for
real purposes.  We'll have a proper C++ GUI for this soon though.  If you
feel adventurous and want to try out the code we have in CVS you can see what
the event monitor GUI looks like so far.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/