[Kst] dragging Kst objects

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Wed Apr 7 12:51:28 CEST 2004

   With the new view's it's going to be quite easy to have multiple main
windows so we will probably add them soon after they are integrated.  When we
have this, it will be desirable to be able to drag move or drag copy plots
between windows, and I think it will even be useful to be able to drag
objects from the data manager.  This is fine, but we need to define the
mimetypes for dragging.  I think it makes the most sense to allow drags
between instances of Kst too.  Missing objects could even be transparently
queried via DCOP very easily - that's not an issue.  The real problem is that
we need a wire protocol for the various objects, and thus binary
compatibility.  Is it worth bothering with this yet?   Should I encode a
version number in the drag object instead?  Or should I just store pointers
to objects and only allow drags within Kst instances.

   FWIW, dragging to external apps could be really cool in the sense that it
could be used to copy plots into documents, data into other apps, etc.

KDE Developer			http://www.kde.org/
Staikos Computing Services Inc.	http://www.staikos.net/