[Kst] Qt 3.2

George Staikos staikos at kde.org
Fri Nov 14 18:48:49 CET 2003

On Friday 14 November 2003 12:25, C. Barth Netterfield wrote:
> We need to discuss an library upgrade policy:
>
> How does this sound?
>
> I suggest that we allow enhancements which require KDE/Qt upgrades 3-4
> months after a ?. or ?.? upgrade to KDE is released, at most once per 12
> months. This delay is intended to allow the new KDE/qt to be included in
> the major distributions.  The rate is intended to allow us to keep up with
> major enhancements to the library without making people upgrade too often.

   Actually I think this is unnecessary.  We can continue to support KDE 3.1
for quite a long time.  I would suggest that we can continue to work on KDE
3.1 until 3-4 months after KDE 4 comes out.  I only posted this because using
Qt 3.2 will surely result in me accidentally committing 3.2-only code by
mistake.  I expect I will have a 3.1 machine up and running for testing again
in 2 weeks.

   Really, the API changes in KDE 3.2 don't justify Kst moving to it IMHO.  We
do want KJSEmbed eventually, but it's effectively a plugin and we can check
for KDE 3.2 at compile time.

> The trickiest will be the 3.? to 4.? upgrade which will break source code
> compatibility.  When the major dists are shipping 4.0, and all the older

  Hopefully mostly just binary compatibility, but I'm not sure what the
finally decision at Trolltech will be.

> I still have people (hard-core stable debianites) running the 2.2 versions
> :-(

   The 2->3 upgrade is so valuable that it's not worth supporting 2 still.

   The last call on all of this is yours, but I think we can easily provide
further backward compatibility without any problems.