[Ksecretservice-devel] *** PROBABLY SPAM *** Re: Fwd: Re: KWallet/KSecretsService & GIT workflow

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sat Aug 6 08:56:31 UTC 2011

On 08/06/2011 10:31 AM, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Saturday, August 6, 2011 10:04:46 Valentin Rusu wrote:
> [snip]
>> The kdeutils/kwallet module uses kde-runtime/kwalletd. By
>> analogy,kdeutils/kwallet may be better placed, in my opinion, insidekde
>> -baseapps module (and btw this module already moved to GIT).
> moving it to baseapps might be a good idea. it might also make sense to put it
> into kde-workspace. which we choose probably depends on the following:
>
> 	With Secret Service, is the desktop shell expected to provide the UI to
> 	manage the wallets?
>
> in other words, is the manager to become a feature of the desktop environment
> you are logged into? currently, the manager is a separate application with the
> assumption that one may want to use that manager wherever they use a KDE
> application. that is certainly one realistic approach.
>
> however, with Secret Service being a cross-desktop framework, perhaps it
> becomes a feature of the workspace.
>
> the one thing i can think that would go against that is usage of KDE (or other
> Secret Service using apps) on operating systems like Windows or Mac where a
> manager would be needed. that would argue in favor of baseapps.
The current kdeutils/kwallet also provides a Konfigurator module, for
System Settings, that appears under the Account Details. Is this kind of
module portable to Windows? (I never tried KDE/Windows). If it's not,
then workspace should be the choice.

Other ways, in the future we surely need to provide some user interface
like KWalletManager for the Secret Service, to manage the "secrets
collections".

Another thing to consider is that the Secret Service client API (from
kdelibs?) will eventually bind to the backend of the GNOME Keyring. So
GNOME users installing KDE applications bound to Secret Service will not
need the KDE Secret Service daemon, configuration module and sync tools.