[Ksecretservice-devel] KSecretsService : client API review request

Valentin Rusu kde at rusu.info
Sun Jul 31 22:48:24 UTC 2011

Hello Olivier,

Hope you're doing well :-)

Please be advised that the client API is now quite usable and the time
is right for a thourough review, if you will to and have enough time for it.

As we discussed in Randa, this client API is fully asynchrounous and
it's intent is to hide it's DBus internal implementation from the
applications using it. Meanwhile I checked Qt code and found out that
property get/set lead to sync calls, so I introduced the dedicated jobs
ReadPropertyJob and WritePropertyJob.

At the time of writing this mail some code must still be added, but I
intend to push it by tomorrow or the day after. However, I don't expect
you to jump over and go review the code right away :-)

Remember that the service was initially called KSecretService, but in
Randa it's name got an additional "s" to make KSecretsService. The code
reflects that, but the GIT repository was not renamed - no need to do
that as long as it's standing in the playground.

What would be the next steps now? On my side, once I'll push the
remaining code, I'll start a new local branch for kdelibs and go ahead
with KWallet rewrite. This will allow me to test the API inside a live
environment (my computer) and prepare for the move to kdereview. Or
should I request the move to kdereview right away? (the sync tool is far
from ready though, perhaps I should separate my code in several modules
in order to get it integrated in several steps)

Here are some more information:
Code location : git clone git at git.kde.org:ksecretservice
What to be reviewed : ksecretservice/client
How to run:
1. build ksecretservice - this will build the client and the daemon and
the other components,
2. launch the daemon : ksecretsserviced
3. start client/tests/ksecretsservice_client_test

Cheers,
Valentin