[Kroupware] SourceXtreme, Inc MAPI toolkit

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Mar 12 11:04:03 CET 2004

Am Donnerstag, 11. März 2004 18:10 schrieb ian reinhart geiser:

Hi Ian,

> >> is completely safe to link to with an Open Source license compatible
> >> with the GPL.  We are offering a commercial license to interested

> > This being GNU GPL means that it cannot be linked against the KDE
> > components that demand the QT exception.
> > Wouldn't using the LGPL help to spread and improve this library?
>

> is currenly more interest on win32 than linux...  and win32 is helping
> fund the development of the rest of the code that will soon follow this.
> We may look at the Qt exception because we have some Qt bindings to this
> toolkit in the pipe so its possible we may need to monkey arround some
> more there...

I think GPL+qt exception would be fine (no LGPL really required currently) in
addition please explicitly allow for "linking dynamically" to OL/MAPI and
other windows dlls.

Some GNU people claim that dynamically linking makes a work a derivative of
the component beeing linked to. This means according to these people your
work becomes a derivative (in copyright terms) of MAPI/OL.

IMHO the whole concept of "linking" does break down in the case of non unix
platforms like W32 or JAVA.

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de