[Kroupware] Outlook-Enhancement

Stefan Lang steven at organet.com
Fri Mar 5 15:31:51 CET 2004

I would like to diskuss this once more!

> > > This is not a workaround, it would be the real solution!
> >
> > Well, the question is if it will work for 100% e.g. hwo does he solve the
> > GUID issue? (OL needs the GUID and a lot of other internal data of a
> > calendar item in order to keep internal references correct)
> >
> > So basically this means that the plugin must not only be able to write
> > (easy) but also to read the vcals in all their beauty.

I know, there are people with more experience and knowledge, regarding this
topic, around , like I do ........but

What, if we don't touch Outlook, let it store its calendar information the way
it wants, and convert it to vcal on the server.....perhaps "in" kolab!

Advantages:
1) We don't have to struggle with OL.....and its many many Versions and
subversions (patches, servicepacks). It's a nightmare to develop a software
covering all those shi...y versions.

2) We would improve kolab and not an "enemies" product! ;-)

3) There are perl-based tools for READING tnef-files around, so perl could be
our friend! For WRITING these files, I didn't find anything! :-(

Disadvantage(s):
1) We must convert from TNEF-Format to vcal and back again, if someone
modifies the OL-users calendar with a kontact-client!

Just my two cents!

Stevie