[Kroupware] Re: About Kolab and plugins

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Fri Jan 23 11:27:45 CET 2004

Am Thursday 22 January 2004 16:49 schrieb Eugen Constantinescu:
> Hi Andreas,
> It is my first step to support Kolab, it's possible to not be what you
> have expected but that's what I could do for this release.
> I am using a standard Kolab server installation on my Mdk 9.2 system.

Hi Eugen,

At first I want to thank you for the surprising response. Good to know that
you monitor the Kolab mailing list. ;-)
I don't know if my expectations are too high, I'm just looking for a tool my
colleagues can run on W2K and WXP to benefit from our Kolab server. Well,
I've told them only about LDAP and IMAP until now, but they see more
possibilities in the web frontend and it's only a question of time until I
get asked for a client on Windows.
Linux is easier, most of those who want to use the calendar functionality do
run KDE. Kontact is going to get great (actually it already is), so I'm
concerned about the Windows side. I've tested the Binary connector and
didn't think that this is THE solution. I'm going to try other connectors
as well, but I also wanted to give Aethera as OSS it's chance.

> For details about Kolab support you should read the Help pages which
> comes with Aethera.
> Aethera needs a restart after a new IMAP or Kolab account is created.
> Aethera can see only the subscribed folders and the Kolab specific
> folders are subscribed.

I'm using Mozilla 1.6 on a German W2K, I'm not able to use the menu at the
left side when I open the help index. I eventually browsed the files
manually. I succeeded in setting up the Kolab account and I can see (some
of) the IMAP folders and the events are (partially wrong) shown in the
calendar.

> It working very nice and without crashes for me, even on my Windows Me
> testing system. I am able to synchronize my calendar, contacts and notes.
> I am storing the password (which is encrypted) if this makes a
> difference. Regards,
> Eug

Well, I think 1) has been confirmed as bug by Shawn already. 4) didn't
change for me. BTW, Aethera also crashed when I wanted to investigate an
event which was shown for January 22nd while I know it is for 23rd (and
it's shown correctly in KOrganizer).
Yes, 3) can be considered as invalid, but in the startup wizard (or however
it i called) I could select only POP, IMAP and Local which led me to the
natural conclusion that IMAP is the appropriate type.
For 2) I could not find out how to (un-)subscribe from / to a folder on an
IMAP server. I somehow managed to work around this using Mozilla Mail.

Please take it as a status report only, I don't see a way to provide
backtraces on Windows. I also don't plan to continuously test Aethera. In
the moment it's to instable for my needs and I want to keep the risk of a
data loss really minimal. However, if you could give some feedback on
product improvements on this mailing list, I'll certainly give Aethera
another try.
I know that Aethera is open source, but I feel I don't want to share my
capacity between KMail and Aethera in the moment.

Regards,
Andreas