[Kroupware] IDEA: Kontacts has a field to specify where to download their Free/Busy

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Sun Jan 4 11:14:13 CET 2004

On Tuesday 23 December 2003 21:21, Jon Bendtsen wrote:

> >> yes, if they use the same server as me, i'm talking about remote
> >> kontakts.
> >
> > I will still be fine with remote contacts,
> > that each client pushes its free/busy information to one server.
>
> look, pushing free/busy information to ONE server will not happen.
> Company A will not push their info to Company B.

I should have been more precise:
Each client pushes its free/busy information to its server.
So users a1, a2 push to server A and b1,b2,b3 push to B.

> > A remote person than must find out where to get this freebusy list.
>
> an entry in the kaddressbook, that the korganisor uses to lookup the
> information
>
> > Thus it needs to be an entry in the Kolab Server LDAP addressbook.
> > Subsequently KOrganizer will also have such an attribute.
>
> i dont see why it needs to be centralised.

The idea of server A and server B is that each carries the full
information of its own users if possible.
So if addressbook entries for a1 and a2 of A point to A
and b1,b2,b3 to B as freebusy distribution point, everything
would be fine. This is decentralisation.

KAddressbook in Kolab can get default information from the
addressbooks from A and B over LDAP.

> > My point being was that we need a corresponding entry in the
> > addressbook for this to be neatly integrated in Kolab. :)
>
> yes, the entry is needed, but only klient wise.

It makes a lot of sense to have A's and B's LDAP addressbooks
give the corresponding freebusy distribution points for each of their
users. So there should be an entry in the LDAP.