[Kroupware] KDE3.2 release

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Wed Feb 4 08:03:01 CET 2004

(I'm crossposting this to the kmail and kdepim lists, since there might be
more people out there that are confused of the current development.)

On Wednesday 04 February 2004 00:30, Darren Poulson wrote:
> Is there a version of kdepim that can be downloaded via CVS with some
> more kolab features in it? If so, how do you download it? I've tried
> getting cvs with -r kroupware_branch, but that seemed to miss a lot of
> files.

Hi,

If you want the original kroupware project software, you should use the
kroupware_branch. However, if you want the current development, you need
to use cvs HEAD. This will work with KDE 3.2, and will continue to do so
for the release of kdepim 3.3. So you do not need to run cvs HEAD of any
other KDE parts, but can stay with the stable branch.

If some of you picked up the name "osnabrueck_branch", you should forget
this. It was just a temporary branch we developed in during the feature
freeze of the pre-3.2 launch period. Now that HEAD is open for
development, this branch is completely dead.

I know all this can be a bit confusing, so here is the overview:

kroupware_branch is for the old release only. It runs with KDE 3.1.4 and
you can see the build instructions on
http://www.kroupware.org/howto-kolab-kde-client.html. With this, you get
the kroupware project packages. Almost no development has been done on
these packages for the last six months though.

KDE 3.2 can be downloaded with the released tarballs or with the cvs
branch KDE_3_2_BRANCH (cvs checkout -r KDE_3_2_BRANCH module, where
module is kdebase, kdelibs, kdepim...). KDE releases are always tagged
like KDE_3_2_0_RELEASE, so you can fetch that one with
cvs checkout -r KDE_3_2_0_RELEASE module. With this, you get the Kontact
that has the new KDE 3.2 developments and most kroupware_project
features, but misses the important groupware scheduling parts.

kdepim development branch is done in cvs HEAD (cvs checkout kdepim), and
compiles and runs with all KDE 3.2 releases/branches. This is the
development we all think of as a "Kontact 1.0" release, where one of the
features is that Kontact will be a full Kolab client.

These are the three options you have. All others are irrelevant now.

About Kontact: Remember that Kontact is a collection of the kdepim
applications in one shell. The idea is sort of the same we did with
kroupware_branch, but instead of KMail being the shell KOrganizer ran in,
Kontact is the shell that KMail, KOrganizer, KAddressBook, KPilot, KNotes
and a couple more will run in. You can still choose to run each of these
applications as standalone, so you have a choice between Kontact or the
individual applications. The features of, for example, KMail are the same
wether you run it in Kontact or standalone.

Bo.