[Kroupware] slapcat: could not open database

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Thu Sep 11 12:51:33 CEST 2003

Klaus Vink Slott <> writes:

> On 10/9 2003 23:52 Dieter Kluenter wrote:
[...]
>> you may design a database to your liking, there is no requirement for
>> a particular design. But the installation scripts of Kolab, as
>> default, use host.domain.tld design.
> So I will not break anything if I change the suffix in
> /kolab/etc/kolab/kolab.conf ?

No, but you have to rebuild your database and propagate the new tree
structure.

>> > kolab at tot$ sudo slapcat -b "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
>> > slapcat: slap_init no backend for "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
>> Please use slapcat with the correct flags that is
>> slapcat -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l /path/to/output
>> while output can be named to your liking, i.e. kolab.ldif
> When I work from inside the kolab environment (by using sudo for priviliged
> operations), it seems that the correct slapd.conf is selected. Actually now I
> get the expected result by just typing:
> kolab at tot$ sudo slapcat -l somefile

That is because OpenLDAP has been compiled with
prefix=/kolab. Therefor all clients look for their paths under the
prefix /kolab. But you may have multiple ldap-clients on your system,
and all this clients may look for a different path.

> but I will keep the "-f /path/to/slapd.conf" in mind ,-)
>
>> Don't make use of a database declaration unless you know what you are
>> doing, that is, if you have multiple database declarations in
>> slapd.conf, than and only than you have to declare a database.
>> (flag -b)
> OK. I will dig into some LDAP reading

A good point to start with is

http://www.openldap.org/doc/admin21