[Kroupware] slapcat: could not open database

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Thu Sep 11 00:52:05 CEST 2003

Klaus Vink Slott <list-s at andelsweb.dk> writes:

> On Wednesday 10 September 2003 20:19, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
>> > kolab at tot$ slapcat -b "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
>> > slapcat: slap_init no backend for "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
>> > kolab at tot$ slapcat -b "dc=tot,dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
>> > slapcat: could not open database.
>> > kolab at tot$ /kolab/sbin/slapcat -l ldif
>> > slapcat: could not open database.
>>
>> For obvious reasons the database is owned by root with mod
>> 600. Therefor you have to run slapcat as root.
> I didn't realize it accessed the database directly. Was expecting a password
> prompt or something.. silly me :-)

How can you be prompted for a password when the server is not running

> OK now I got this working:
> kolab at tot$ sudo slapcat -b "dc=tot,dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
> [lots of output]

Oh no, you are just dumping to standard out.

> but why is the servername part of the suffix? Based on my limited reading
> about LDAP I'd expected the suffix to be only the domain part.

You haven't read enough :-)
you may design a database to your liking, there is no requirement for
a particular design. But the installation scripts of Kolab, as
default, use host.domain.tld design.

> kolab at tot$ sudo slapcat -b "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"
> slapcat: slap_init no backend for "dc=kubism,dc=ku,dc=dk"

Please use slapcat with the correct flags that is
slapcat -f /path/to/slapd.conf -l /path/to/output
while output can be named to your liking, i.e. kolab.ldif

Don't make use of a database declaration unless you know what you are
doing, that is, if you have multiple database declarations in
slapd.conf, than and only than you have to declare a database.
(flag -b)

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung