[Kroupware] Kolab Distribution Lists - Multiple Domains - Multiple Aliases

Christopher Lewis chris at maximlighting.com
Tue Sep 2 12:48:23 CEST 2003

> On Wednesday 27 August 2003 22:32, Christopher Lewis wrote:
>
> > Question 1)  Does Kolab currently support distribution lists?  For
> > example,
> > if my manager sends mail to marketing at mydomain.com, each of my marketing
> > people will get a copy of that message.
>
> It is not integrated yet.
> Basically because there are several ways to do this properly.
> One is to integrate an mailinglisten manager.

I was wondering if I might need to do that.  It seems like overkill for me,
since my 2 biggest mailing lists are about 15-20 people.  However, I never
know when the company will grow and require more robust technologies anyway.

> > How can I allow multiple
> > recipients of a single e-mail address?
>
> There are many way.
> a) The client can have _local_ groups.
> b) Use a sieve script for an account.
> c) Use postfix's alias capabilities.

Okay, I've already played with postfix's alias capabilities.  It looks like it
does the job.  The only funny thing about it is that the alias defined is
accepted on all domains.  It's useful, but it's not quite what I'm looking
for.

As far as the other 2 suggestions, I'm not sure what you mean by local groups.
If you mean creating folders from the kolab administrator, it didn't seem to
work for me.  I couldn't get mail delivered to the folder, and I would prefer
to receive mail in the inbox.

Using the sieve script sounds like an interesting idea.  Where can I get more
information about that?

> > Question 2)  Following up on the multiple recipients question, can the
> > Kolab administration pages be modified to store multiple e-mail recipients
> > and multiple aliases?
>
> Yes. As this all is Free Software it all is possible in principle.
> It is more a question of effort and needed skills.
> For this the answer would be that it would be a small effort
> with medium skill level needed.

Okay, I guess I just need some skills.  I've been wanting to get some PHP
experience anyway.  :)

> > Question 4)  Since postfix already supports multiple domains and virtual
> > users, why is multiple domain support such a problem?
>
> Because it fully needs to be reflected in the glue
> and the administration interface.
> Thus also in the client because we would need to invent
> a better method to locate the freebusy lists.

I figured I should take a closer look at how things are stored before I shoot
my mouth off.  I see the basics of how the freebusy files are stored, but I
don't see why.  What program actually creates the freebusy files?  I'm a
little disappointed to see the files are only the username portion of the
e-mail address, especially since I had argued with Martin against changing
the UID to the full e-mail address.

Also, is the Kolab client supposed to automatically display other user's
freebusy times?  That is a feature that I liked in Outlook/Exchange, but
doesn't seem to work with Kolab client/server.  I wonder if the filenames are
preventing this, since you mentioned that the client needs to locate the
freebusy files.

Thanks again for your help.
--
Christopher Lewis