[Kroupware] Kolab Distribution Lists - Multiple Domains - Multiple Aliases

Bernhard Reiter bernhard at intevation.de
Mon Sep 1 17:28:33 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 27 August 2003 22:32, Christopher Lewis wrote:

> Question 1)  Does Kolab currently support distribution lists?  For example,
> if my manager sends mail to marketing at mydomain.com, each of my marketing
> people will get a copy of that message.

It is not integrated yet.
Basically because there are several ways to do this properly.
One is to integrate an mailinglisten manager.

> How can I allow multiple
> recipients of a single e-mail address?

There are many way.
a) The client can have _local_ groups.
b) Use a sieve script for an account.
c) Use postfix's alias capabilities.

> Question 2)  Following up on the multiple recipients question, can the
> Kolab administration pages be modified to store multiple e-mail recipients
> and multiple aliases?

Yes. As this all is Free Software it all is possible in principle.
It is more a question of effort and needed skills.
For this the answer would be that it would be a small effort
with medium skill level needed.

>  The same method for multiple recipients could also
> be used to add multiple alias support, correct?

If you use c), yes.

> Question 3)  Now, to follow up on question 2, does the LDAP schema need to
> be modified to allow for this?  Where is all this information stored,
> anyway?

I don't know for sure.
The current email alias is saved in the LDAP "alias" attribute,
it might be possible to have more than one.
Depending on how you want to implement several recipients,
you would want another attribute.

> Question 4)  Since postfix already supports multiple domains and virtual
> users, why is multiple domain support such a problem?

Because it fully needs to be reflected in the glue
and the administration interface.
Thus also in the client because we would need to invent
a better method to locate the freebusy lists.

> The experts on this list may already know about this information, but I
> didn't find it immediately available.  Perhaps this could be written up as
> a HowTo for the web site?

In principile it can.
However I tend to react if the information is asked for a second time,
because most of this can already be found in the postfix documentation itself
and we don't want to dublicate the information unnecessarily.

> Thanks again for all the help I have gotten on this list.  Thanks to the
> Kroupware group for all the hard work and for giving us a great product
> (soon to be *Really Great*).

You are welcome!
Thanks for giving feedback!