[Kroupware] Outlook compatibility with Kroupware clients

Jonathon Sim sim at zeald.com
Tue Oct 21 12:45:53 CEST 2003

I have a quick question about using Kolab with the various Outlook connectors/
plugins:

Several posts here on the list suggest that although you can connect Outlook
to the Kolab *Server* with these products, it is impossible to actually share
anything with the KDE/Web clients with them because they use the
Microsoft-specific TNEF encoding to store the data.

This seems to be in contradiction with information in the architecture
manual : ie
http://www.erfrakon.de/projects/kolab/documentation/architecture/c540.html

which suggests that by adding these settings:
"2. Email Format" "Senden im Nachrichtenformat" : "Nur Text"  (presumably
"send in format" : text, although I don't actually speak any German)
3. "Internet Mail" "MIME : Quoted Printable" "

you can get Outlook+Bynari to use an open text format rather than TNEF.  Then
the format is (supposidely) vcard/vcal attachments that Kolab should be able
to read.

What this suggests to me is that by making these changes, the Bynari calendar
store (not just free/busy information !) can be converted into an IMAP folder
containing plain-text emails with vcal attachments : this would be great not
just for Kolab but for any groupware project looking to get at the data (I
was actually planning on writing scripts to sync with OpenGroupware)

So my question is : am I reading this right, and is this information still
correct?.  Has anyone tried making the appropriate changes in Outlook to see
what they get?  If necessary I can write a script to munge the data from
Outlook into another format if it isn't quite right, but it would sure help
if it was just text :-)

--
Jonathon Sim <sim at zeald.com> Developer/Network Administrator at Zeald Ltd
JabberID: sim at jabber.com