[Kroupware] Re: Source based distro installation question.

Maarten Stolte maarten.stolte at papuaos.org
Thu Oct 2 11:12:11 CEST 2003

Hi,

>One more thing to ask; I see there are allot of packages that Kolab needs
>listed in the download directories. Are all of these required? Is is not
>possible to run Kolab Server w/o mail? We have mail sorted elsewhere. I just
>want to set it up for group calendaring, that's it.

It depends alot on your clients, some need ftp for calendar useage, some
don't. Also, the information of Kolab is stored in the imap server
mostly, so you could probably use another mail server instead of the
native one, but it'll be alot of work. It also needs to have sieve to
enable scripting things like vacation messages. I'd really advice to
read the architectural docs, which are also available in english on
http://kroupware.org/documentation.html

>Also, is LDAP usage required? or can it without a working LDAP environment?
>I would expect a bit of flexibility, but have not been able to find out what
>is optional and what is required? (Forgive me if I am unable to plow thru the
>German docs to find this, easier to ask here I think.)

LDAP is for managing the users, and for that goes the same as for the
other answer, it might be replacable by other file management things,
but you'll need to do alot of hacking.

best,

Maarten Stolte