[Kroupware] More than one Kolab server

Dieter Kluenter dieter at dkluenter.de
Tue May 20 09:30:19 CEST 2003

Hi Dick,

Dick Kniep <D.J.Kniep at chello.nl> writes:

> Hi list,
>
> We are planning to use Kolab in a company with 2 locations. On those 2
> locations, we would like to have 2 different servers with the same LDAP
> data (using SLURP?) effectively being mirrors of each other. Then we can
> use PAM-LDAP to log on to the system instead of NIS. This avoids extra
> userdefinitions to be entered.
>
> Does anyone have any experience with this? Is it at all possible
> (without major changes to Kolab)?

I have some experience with openldap database replication and PAM
authentification by means of pam_ldap.
Database replication is done by slurpd but to have it work properly
you have to recompile openldap and at least add the flag
--enable-rewrite to configure, and I recommend bdb backend instead of
ldbm.
If you use the DIT structure which is provided by kolab as default
you have to heavily tweak pam_ldap configuration, which ist in
/etc/ldap.conf (this file is not identical to the openldap client
configuration file etc/openldap/ldap.conf). Pam_ldap is looking for
entry families ou=users and ou=groups. For further information see the
MigrationTools from http://www.padl.com.

-Dieter

--
Dieter Kluenter  | Systemberatung