[Kroupware] Re: Kolab RFC (IMAP Groupware Folders)

Helge Hess helge.hess at skyrix.com
Sun May 4 15:18:43 CEST 2003

On Mittwoch, April 23, 2003, at 04:39  Uhr, Marc Groot Koerkamp wrote:
> The RFC822 Header from each message can be used to limit the required
> messages
> to fetch if there is information like startdate / enddate inside the
> rfc822
> header (See IMAP SEARCH).

Can you give an example how that would wor for start/enddate ? I didn't
find something in IMAP4 SEARCH which allows to query for "larger" or
"smaller" headers (eg "x-kolab-startdate > 20030404") ?

The only thing I can see is "HEADER" or "TEXT" which only search for
substrings and are (apparently?) unsuitable for range queries like
"search apts from 2003-03-12 to 2003-03-19").
Maybe you have some smart idea on how to use them ? :-)

In my understanding in the current Kolab design the client is
responsible for basically all processing (freebusy excluded ?), Kolab
is just a generic store.

> Because of the fact that there are a lot of imap-clients around that
> aren't
> aware of the special nature of contact, calendar ... folders it's
> better to
> hide them.

A lot of clients can show vcards or icals using a "plugin"
architecture, if the message inside of the calendar folder will mark it
using the correct MIME type, non-calendaring clients will be able to
show some information nevertheless.
IMHO that's a nice aspect of the Kolab design.

regards,
   Helge

Helge Hess                         Email:    helge.hess at skyrix.com
SKYRIX Software AG                 Tel:      +49-391-6623-0
Universitaetsplatz 12              Fax:      +49-391-6623-599
39104 Magdeburg, Germany           Internet: http://www.skyrix.com