[Kroupware] Re: [Kde-pim] kontact

Don Sanders kroupware@mail.kde.org
Thu, 13 Mar 2003 21:59:52 +1000

On Thursday 13 March 2003 18:57, Ralf Nolden wrote:
> On Donnerstag, 13. März 2003 06:17, Don Sanders wrote:

> > > Nope, sorry. Should have taken care of that immediately but I
> > > was showing off KDE at that moment *mumble*

> > > I only experienced that with the kontact package, never with
> > > the version in the brach. KAddressbook has alwasy been 100%
> > > stable and even more I was astonished that I lost all my data.

> > > Maybe it's exactly the autosave feature that misbehaved. If the
> > > crash happens during that function your data is lost entirely.
> > > Autosaving should always work in a backup way, so one copy is
> > > always safe.
> >
> > kontact just calls the kde libs addressbook save function. If the
> > saving misbehaved and data was lost this indicates there is a bug
> > in kdelibs.
> >
> > Cornelius I'm looking through the kdelibs/kabc code to try to
> > verify that a temporary file is used. Can you give me a pointer
> > as to where the temporary file is created? (Assuming a temporary
> > file is used).

> > > No, I can't because I lack the time as already pointed out. I'm
> > > having loads of work to do here and there's no time left for
> > > half a day of experiments unfortunately.

> > > As Kontact will be in KDE 3.2 it's not the most urgent matter
> > > for me right now. When we'll have more time starting to move
> > > packaging snapshots from HEAD I guess there'll be more users
> > > reporting problems by then. Right now the KDE 3.1.1 release is
> > > way more important than packaging a kontact development
> > > snapshot, sorry.
> >
> > I'm confident that any bug you've experienced is a bug in kdelibs
> > and not one in the kontact package, and that by ignoring this bug
> > you're ignoring a bug in the KDE 3.1 release, and if it's not
> > fixed one in the KDE 3.1.1 release also.
>
> I'm not ignoring it, I don't have the *time* right now to care for
> it !
>
> > It's possibly that the bug is more likely to be exposed by the
> > kontact package due to the fact that it autosaves on exit, but
> > instead of ignoring this I think it would be better to treat this
> > as a clue to help find any bug in kdelibs. I'm personally willing
> > to spend some time looking at the kdelib kabc saving code and
> > looking for any weaknesses that might be exploited by a crash.
>
> You're running a build also like other people, so it should be
> possible for you to find it.

But you're the only person to report a problem like this. There have
been several thousand downloads of the package now and I haven't had
anyone else report a problem like this.

I can create a really large addressbook that will take a significant
amount of time to save and judiciously kill the kaddressbook process
while it is in the sensitive saving state.

But perhaps reproducing the bug requires a system configured similarly
to your own, if you work out a way to reproduce the problem please
let me know. It would be pretty bad for KDE 3.1.1 to go out with a
problem like this.

Don.