[Kroupware] how to send/receive emails?

Rene Ouderling m.n.e.ouderling at rent-it-professionals.nl
Sun Jun 29 21:24:04 CEST 2003

Op zondag 29 juni 2003 07:36, schreef Alexander Marx:
> Am Sam, 2003-06-28 um 14.56 schrieb Rene Ouderling:
> > Op zaterdag 28 juni 2003 14:46, schreef Alexander Marx:
> > > Hi List!
> > > I have a big problem.
> > > So far:
> > > I installed the kolab server today on a Knoppix Debian (woody)
> > > After rebuilding all SRC.RPM'S and changing the start-skript as
> > > described in the QIM, i managed to get the Server run.
> > >
> > > then i logged in as manager and added the user "testuser".
> > >
> > > After that, i startet another computer (LINUX Mandrake9.1) and startet
> > > KMail. In KMail i set up the KOLAb Server as IMAP and SMTP SERVER and
> > > created an Account "testuser.
> > >
> > > Then i tried to send myself an email over the kolab server. But the
> > > Server said: "RELAYING DENIED" Why? the user is testuser at localhost.
> > > i have no local SMTP or SENDMAIL on the MANDRAKE.
> > >
> > > Then i tried to send an email via telnet. the server accepted, but the
> > > mail never reaches the destination.
> > >
> > > Am i only able to send/receive Email with a KOLAB-CLIENT?
> >
> > You also have to install the client software. On www.kroupware.org there
> > is a link where you can download it.
>
> Thanx!
> But....
>
> I also did this! i even loaded the three packages and compiled them (it
> took about 4 hours) on my Mandrake 9.1. At last, i tried to start the
> build kmail, and it crashes every time, i try to activate the groupware
> functionality.
> it is the same problem, as described in another article. Seems to be a
> prob with mandrake 9.1.
> AND:
> shouldn't it be possible to send and receive emails via normal clients?
> on the lowest level (Console,telnet) i wrote an email to the server and
> the server accepted the messsage, but it was not possible, to get them.
> authentication works, but kolab says: no mail for user ....
>
> Today, i'll try the pre-build packages from www.kroupware.org on my
> knoppix.
> And maybe even the client on another knopppix .
>
> alex

This is what I did (I am using RH9). First remove on the client the already
installed packages from KDE (that came with your distro).
rpm -e kdenetwork-devel
rpm -e kdenetwork
rpm -e kdepim-devel
rpm -e kdepim.
Because I am using RedHat the KDE installation is in /usr. So for my
compilation i did
./configure --prefix=/usr
make
make install (as root).

You already seem to have installed it so my advice is to make a fresh and
clean install;
1. run  make uninstall (for the three source packages)
2. delete the directory MAIL in your home directory
3. enter the hidden directory $HOME/.kde/share and rename the directory config
to config_old
4. enter  $HOME/.kde/share/apps  and remove kmail
5. Compile the packages again.
6. run kmail and it should be working

--
Mvg

Rent IT-Professionals

Rene Ouderling

E-mail  :m.n.e.ouderlingr at rent-it-professionals.nl
WWW     :www.rent-it-professionals.nl
icq     :151446218

Deze e-mail is uitsluitend bestemd voor de geadresseerde(n).Verstrekking
aan en gebruik door anderen is niet toegestaan.Rent IT-Professionals
sluit iedere aansprakelijkheid uit die voortvloeit uit electronische
verzending.

This e-mail is intended exclusively for the addressee(s), and may not be
passed on to, or made available for use by any person other than the
addressee(s). Rent IT-Professionals rules out any and every liability
resulting from any electronic transmission.