[Kroupware] Email client for windows

Martin Konold martin.konold at erfrakon.de
Fri Jun 20 16:17:02 CEST 2003

Am Freitag, 20. Juni 2003 14:57 schrieb Maarten Stolte:

Hi,

> > the kde-cygwin people are making great progress in this direction lately,
> > you can install a kde 3.1.1 on win32, which runs in an own XFree window.
>
> nice, but this is all way too much overhead imho

Definetly cywin is not a good option for the enterprise desktop. A
Cygwin/Xfree/KDE installation is simply too big and causes a lot of problems
if you have to support many desktop systems.

> sure, and then make kde run on OSX, which it also does, but also in a
> non-native environment (X).

I expect KDE to be available for native OS-X (non X11) very soon.

> If you'd get mozilla or rather Thunderbird to do the Kolab stuff, you'd
> have OSX, Windows and lots of other platforms covered right away.
> Two sourcebases, sure, but lots more platforms too, and no ugly hacks as
> I see the kde running on platform X with X...

I wouild love to see support from the Mozilla people for the Kolab server
groupware features. This is one of the reasons why we spent a lot of time
documenting the Kolab technology.

On the other hand I don't expect too much from them. The same applies for the
OpenOffice people who seem to just have started a new groupware initiative.

Basically I hope that we can demonstrate that the Kolab server and the Kolab
client are able to finally deliver what many projects (OSS and proprietary)
tried before but sofar failed to deliver.

Regards,
-- martin

Nobelstrasse 15, 70569 Stuttgart, Germany
fon: 0711 67400963, fax: 0711 67400959
email: martin.konold at erfrakon.de