[Kroupware] HOWTO: amavisd-new, spam assassin, sophos

Jason A. Pattie pattieja at pcxperience.com
Mon Jul 21 11:34:12 CEST 2003

It is more efficient and safer than having the MTA delivering through
SMTP/LMTP, like amavisd does.  Mailscanner does not want to be an MTA.
It reads a file, processes it, and only deletes it from the incoming
queue after it successfully writes it to the outgoing queue.  This way
it never loses an e-mail.  Since it is not involved in the getting or
sending of the e-mails, it cannot lose e-mail that way, either.  It
supports more MTAs than amavisd does.

Setting up MailScanner is easier because you don't have to configure the
MTA to know about MailScanner.  You don't have to touch any
configuration files for your MTA to use MailScanner.  MailScanner takes
care of starting the instances it needs.  Also, you don't have to
reconfigure your delivery agent.  As long as you don't have your MTA
starting automatically, MailScanner takes care of properly starting the
incoming and outgoing MTA instances using command line arguments to
configure them.

Stephan Buys wrote:

>Yes, we did. The install guide dealt with stopping the queues and making
>Mailscanner read directly from the spool directories. I didn't like that idea
>much. If there is a better way of doing, I will definitely be interested.
>
>I dont know Mailscanner at all, so insights are welcome.
>

>On Friday 18 July 2003 18:06, Jason A. Pattie wrote:
>

>>Stephan Buys wrote:
>>

>>>Hi all,
>>>
>>>For anyone interested I have written a HOWTO on how to
>>>integrate amavisd-new, spam assassin and sophos specifically into Kolab.
>>>
>>>It handles updates, OpenPKG rc.d, etc.
>>>
>>>Please mail me if you want a copy. It will also be available on
>>>kolab.kroupware.org soon.
>>>

>>Have you thought or looked into integrating MailScanner as well?
>>http://mailscanner.info/

believed to be clean.