[Kroupware] POP3 ???

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Fri Jul 18 10:24:04 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2003 18:58 schrieb Bernhard Reiter:
> On Thursday 17 July 2003 18:23, Andreas Gungl wrote:

> > > Ah, SuSE-7.0, did you comment /etc/inetd.conf?
> > >
> > > # pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popper -s
> > >
> > > pop3 used to be activated in /etc/inetd.conf
> >
> > Yes, it's commented. The cyrmaster process is listening on port 110 and
> > when I try to connect then a new pop3d process is started. I also get
> > that entry in the pop3d.log that a connection got accepted. But I don't
> > get the usually following notice about a login in that log. This is no
> > surprise as the pop3d doesn't answer to my pop clients (I tried mozilla
> > and telnet) with the "+OK ... server ready" message. The process simply
> > hangs there without sending any response (which I could pretty fine
> > observe in ethereal).
> >
> > I have to assumtions. Either the pop3d has a problem with libs from the
> > underlying OS or it's a problem with kolab internal processes. But
> > there is nothing strange in the configuration, and as my test machine
> > is running POP quite fine, I guess it's a problem with the libs from
> > SuSE 7.0.
> >
> > I guess I have to upgrade the machine, as I don't know where else to
> > look for the problem. :-(
>
> Check the logs, there must be something in the logs.

Sorry, can't find anything unusual. As the pop3d doesn't die but only hang
around (I had a connection over 30 min where the daemon did nothing after
the initial TCP handshake to setup the connection) the logs (the pop3d.log)
show just what has happend:
Jul 18 08:46:38 dre <debug> pop3d[28101]: accepted connection
There is nothing more. And I checked all logs on the machine.

> And the permissions to the certificates, make them world readable for a
> test. (There was a bug there which might prevent the secret key
> to be read and then authentification did not work.)

Didn't help either. I will try to schedule an Upgrade to SuSE 8.2 next week,
after havnig the packages recompiled I'll going to see what happens then.

Thanks for all,
Andreas