AW: [Kroupware] Re: Konfiguration of the Kolab-Server for mailexchange with myprovider

Karl-Heinz Mauz info at mauz-edv.de
Fri Jul 18 10:14:09 CEST 2003

On Thursday 17 July 2003 20:25, Dieter Kluenter wrote:
> Hi,
>
> "Karl-Heinz Mauz" <info at mauz-edv.de> writes:
> > Hi,
> > I´ve got some questions about configuring the server.
> >
> > Where do I configure the mail transport from kolab to and from my
> > provider.
> > Smtp: Postfix in main.cfg.template
> >       relay_domains = provider
>
> Actually, that is a postfix issue, and you should be familiar with
> postfix configuration. There are several possibilities, you either
> define a relayhost or you specifiy transport rules in a transport
> table. But please, don't define 'relay_domains = provider', that would

> be quite dangerous.

Why do you want to have a relay_domain at all? Unless postfix is blocked

by a firewall, it will just work.

I have DSL-Dialin-Networks with Provider 1und1 and others. So I have to
send mail with authsmtp. So where can I configure postfix with:
smtp-mail-server, login, password?
--> o.k., the postif-doku!!
It seems cyrus works with DNS and configured mail-record mx and
permanent connection to the internet?
--> I have to inform me about that issue .. , but the cyrus-doku isn´t
very talkativ

Only other reason I can see is if you are on a modem line that is often
shut down.
DSL-modem, smaller firms are using dial-in .... And this is my
intention, using kolab in smaller caps.

I think it's about three years since I last had a need for setting a
relay
on my server and on my laptop. Even when I'm travelling, sending mail
with postfix always work.
You recieve and send the mail with a mail-client, having all dialoges
needed!

> > Pop3: somewhere in imapd or cyrus
>
> I would recommend to use fetchmail.

If you do use fetchmail, make sure to do it with a cronjob. Fetchmail
running as a daemon has one big problem: When it dies, it doesn't
restart. And you can bet that sometimes when you are wondering why you
don't get any mail, it's because the fm daemon died.

Bo.