[Kroupware] POP3 ???

Andreas Gungl Andreas.Gungl at osp-dd.de
Thu Jul 17 19:23:05 CEST 2003

Am Donnerstag, 17. Juli 2003 18:10 schrieb Dieter Kluenter:
> Am Don, 2003-07-17 um 15.17 schrieb Andreas Gungl:
> > Bernhard, thank you for the countercheck. I try to provide more info,
> > perhaps that could give a hint:
> >
> > The service is activated.
> >
> > When I connect to the service (e.g. telnet host 110) I get a new line
> > in the pop3d.log:
> > Jul 17 15:00:56 dre <debug> pop3d[9669]: accepted connection
> >
> > The system is based on SuSE 7.0, I updated a Kolab Beta2.1 with RPMs
> > compiled by myself from the src.rpm files (current files from
> > ftp.kde.org).
>
> Ah, SuSE-7.0, did you comment /etc/inetd.conf?
>
> # pop3 stream tcp nowait root /usr/sbin/tcpd /usr/sbin/popper -s
>
> pop3 used to be activated in /etc/inetd.conf

Yes, it's commented. The cyrmaster process is listening on port 110 and when
I try to connect then a new pop3d process is started. I also get that entry
in the pop3d.log that a connection got accepted. But I don't get the
usually following notice about a login in that log. This is no surprise as
the pop3d doesn't answer to my pop clients (I tried mozilla and telnet)
with the "+OK ... server ready" message. The process simply hangs there
without sending any response (which I could pretty fine observe in
ethereal).

I have to assumtions. Either the pop3d has a problem with libs from the
underlying OS or it's a problem with kolab internal processes. But there is
nothing strange in the configuration, and as my test machine is running POP
quite fine, I guess it's a problem with the libs from SuSE 7.0.

I guess I have to upgrade the machine, as I don't know where else to look
for the problem. :-(

Andreas