[Kroupware] OpenGroupware.org formed through SKYRiX open sourcing its Groupware server

Maarten Stolte maarten.stolte at papuaos.org
Sun Jul 13 11:43:02 CEST 2003

On Sun, 2003-07-13 at 01:03, Helge Hess wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm on this list for quite some time and as I expressed before, SKYRiX
> and now OGo, wants to work *with* Kolab, not against it. We appreciate
> the work gone into Kolab.
>
> We have some different opinions on how things should be done (eg using
> IMAP as a calendering and contact storage), but we can share large
> parts of the codebases.
> OGo does not intend to "compete" against to Kolab.

good :-)

> On Donnerstag, 10. Juli 2003, at 16:07 Uhr, Maarten Stolte wrote:
> > the Skyrix is being sold by SuSE afaik as OpenExchange, or am i
> > totally mistaking here?
>
> You are mistaken here. SuSE Email Server III contained SkyrixGreen,
> which is a completely separate codebase from OGo.
> OpenExchange uses a Java based web groupware (ComFire) which is closed
> source and propritary.

i stand corrected :-)

> > agreed, and they have the bigger databases non-opened, so that might
> > be a big catch..
>
> I guess with "bigger databases" you are referring to Oracle and Sybase.
> Of course those are provided as open source as well, just not part of
> the OGo project.

ok, i was thinking the 'catch' would be that you guys would sell the
'big' database connectivity to the bigger corporations, whilst opening
the 'smaller' databases for the 'poorer' corps. This is a valid business
model, but as I understand now, you are only aiming at a services model?
How does this relate to the other email you send, about the mapi client,
is that open as well then?

Maarten