[Kroupware] Problems with KMail

Bo Thorsen bo at sonofthor.dk
Sat Jul 12 14:21:47 CEST 2003

On Thursday 10 July 2003 10:23, Arend van Beelen wrote:
> Hi!
>
> We're seriously implementing Kolab now within our
> business,

Great news! I hope we can help you to do as smooth a transition as
possible.

> but we ran into some trouble with a KMail
> client. I installed kroupware-RC4 on the machine. After
> setting up the machine it started synchronizing --
> everything went fine here. But then, when I clicked the
> public calendar and told KMail it was calendar, some
> trouble occurred. First of all, loading KOrganizer was
> _very_ slow, taking at least 15 seconds to load. Okay, our
> public calendar contained over 1200 items, but the Outlook
> clients don't have trouble with that either.

It is possible that we need to look into performance of loading this large
calendars.

If your calendar contains a lot of old appointments, you can archive the
old appointments to a file. Use KMail "File->Archive Old Entries".

> But then I
> got very odd errors about conflicting ID's (something the
> Outlook clients - with Bynari InsightConnector) didn't
> mourn about either. I made a screenshot of the error which
> you can view here:
> http://www.liacs.nl/~dvbeelen/foutmelding.png. If you know
> how to resolve this, I would be very happy since it
> returns every time someone clicks the folder on that
> client.

This is because you have more than one file with the same ID on it. This
can for example happen if you have two machines that both change the same
file. IMAP solves this kind of conflict by deleting the old file and
uploading the new ones. If this is an appointment, you will then have two
appointments that have the same ID, and the KDE client complains about
this case. It looks like Outlook just silently ignores one of them.

To be on the safe side, you can choose the option to keep both files. This
will give one of the files a new ID, so the conflict is gone.

> Finally, I would like to translate the folder locations to
> Dutch settings, so it's compatible with the Dutch Outlook
> client. How can I do this? Are those settings somewhere in
> a .po file? And if so, where?

I see you figured that out already. I'll include the patch in a later
release of the client. Thanks a lot for the contribution.

Bo.

- --

     Klarälvdalens Datakonsult  |   Denmark