[Kroupware] Gentoo Linux and Kolab Server Environment

Bodo Schulz schulz at bsb.net
Mon Jul 7 16:04:15 CEST 2003

Maarten Stolte wrote:

> On Mon, 2003-07-07 at 14:02, Martin Adler wrote:
>
>>/Hi,
>>
>>since i am using Gentoo on all my machines, would it be possible to use
>>the gentoo ebuilds packages instead of the packages that are normally
>>installed with kolab-distro plus the kolab.tar.gz to accomplish the same
>>setup? /
>>
> no, as it says in the texts on the webpage, you need some specific packages.
>
>>/What do you think about the idea of creating an ebuild for kolab?/
>>

> you could do it, but the idea of using OpenPKG is to not be too distro
> specific.

But, tar.gz is no distro specific.
The use of OpenPKG ist very komplex ... and not error-free to use.
To many different factors, to many possibly errors.

I use too gentoo and the Setup ob the OpenPKG isn't easy for this System.

We planned an Port of an tar.gz based kolab install ... when we have Time :)

BTW. is it possible to _not_ use the chroot environment?
I have an PostgreSQL / Apache / LDAP Server too ... why install this double?

Bodo