[Kroupware] Problem building Apache and other thoughts

Stephan Buys s.buys at codefusion.co.za
Wed Jul 2 19:30:37 CEST 2003

Hi,

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 17:54, Vincent Knecht wrote:
> Le mer 02/07/2003 à 17:00, Laurent Rathle a ecrit :
>
> Hi
>
> I just at this problem a second time this afternoon.
> Could it be a typo in the QIM saying to build gdbm
> with --define 'with_with_ndbm yes' instead of
> --define 'with_ndbm yes' ?

That is definitely a typo. Should read 'with_ndbm yes'

> if that's right, i think we should rebuild all
> packages from gdbm to the end. Is that correct ?
> Or may we just rebuild some packages depending
> on gdbm, and which ?

Just some, please refer to my previous mail.

> ----------
>
> however, i've got some thoughts i would like to
> share and get some info:
>
> my compagny heavily uses domino/lotus notes.
> i'd like to know if kolab actually supports this kind
> of public/private keys and certification process
> (remember i'm stuck at apache building for now :-(
> and if not the case, would that be possible with
> integration of idx-pki for example ?
> ( http://idx-pki.idealx.org/ )

You could roll PKI with OpenSSL. I'm not familiar with all the products.
Kolab was built with security in mind.

> second, there's the application server side, though
> that would probably easyier to 'glue' some other
> product like zope than building this from scratch.

The "philosiphy" behind Kolab is to use proven technologies and integrate
them into the server. So glueing on zope would be the correct answer here.

> and last there're are replication and remote server admin features

No directory replication or integration is supported. This will be a great-to-have
in the future though. As far as remote server admin features are concerned:
ssh, https and ldap.

> i know you'll probably tell me
> "just fund it and you'll get it" but i'm gathering max of informations
> before any proposal to the groupware techs

:-) This is a Free Software project after all so the more users/contributors we
can get the sooner you will see some of these features.
Of course corporate sponsorship is very nice to have as well.

> mmm, just now i'm asking myself i making a kolab plugin for lotus
> notes client would be easier than outlook ?

No idea.