[Kroupware] Re: General inquiry re. Kolab + Kontact

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Jul 2 15:27:24 CEST 2003

On Wednesday 02 July 2003 11:13, Bo Thorsen wrote:

> > Will the completed Kontact be a drop-in replacement for the Kolab
> > client so that when KDE 3.2 is ready it can easily connect to the Kolab
> > server on the LAN?
>
> That depends on whether or not someone will fund the port. The kroupware
> project is a contract with the German BSI goverment office. In that
> contract there is no commitment to port it to the KDE development branch
> (KDE cvs HEAD).

Didn't the project require integration into KDE development? Creating a
dead-end branch doesn't sound like integration.

> I originally planned to do this in my spare time, since I have thoroughly
> enjoyed working on this project. But after seven months of debugging this
> project, I don't have the motivation to do it. And since noone else so
> far have stepped up to do this, I fear Kontact won't be a full Kolab
> client in KDE 3.2. I believe the only way this can happen is if someone
> will fund the port.
>
> Sorry to give you the bad news here :-(

That's really bad news. I assume that this means that the Kroupware code in
CVS HEAD is now unmaintained, right?

Who uses the Kolab client, by the way? Is there nobody amongst the users who
would be interested in not being forced to stay with the KDE version the
client was written for and would be willing to put some work or money in
resolving that problem?