[Kroupware] Re: client compatibility

Kervin L. Pierre kroupware@mail.kde.org
Mon, 20 Jan 2003 15:09:15 -0500

Henning Holtschneider wrote:
> Programming a MAPI provider is no easy task, but Kervin L. Pierre has
> started a project on Sourceforge (http://otlkcon.sourceforge.net/) in
> November. There has been no (visible) progress since then but
> considering Kervin's message to this list, he won't start working on it
> until about now ;-)

Working on it :)

I'm working on the MAPI Message Store Provider.  Goal of having an alpha
version of that code by halfway through February.  Hopefully this date
won't slip, it's a lot of code, but I've been giving it a much of my
time as well.  So we'll see.

The MAPI Message Store Provider is suppose to be the largest MAPI
service provider needed.  Our goal is to work on the MAPI Transport
Provider next.  Another developer has been looking into it, but he
hasn't announced he's exact plans as yet.

My goal is to first decouple outlook from exchange, just as Lotus,
Oracle, Bynari has done.  In fact in the exact same fashion, by
providing an alternate MAPI Message Store and Transport Provider.

Longer term goals include translating outlook calendar properties to
IETF protocol data eg. xCal/IMAP, and/or CAP.  But that's after the
simpliest case of storing MAPI properties as-is as been stablizied.

--Kervin