[Kroupware] smtp authentication problem

Tassilo Erlewein kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 15:38:53 +0100

On Friday 21 February 2003 01:00, Wim Bakker wrote:

> I made a full install of kolab at home , where I have a
> adsl connection. When sending mail using smtp server
> of my provider I have to authenticate , but when I use
> my kolab server , I don't , allthough my default mail account
> is the email account with my provider, the kolab server
> relays the mail to the smtp server of my provider. Works excellent
> as a test install, but how is this secure?

The logic should be:

1. relay to/from the local domain from local IP's without smtp authentication
    postfix knows about local IP's from the "mynetworks" setting
2. relay to/from local domain from anywhere with proper authentication

So if you're on the road and want to send mail over your
home smtp server you can do that using smtp authentication
(no ssh tunneling, or whatever you prefer)

That is considered to be somewhat secure:
1. spamming shouldn't be possible
2. your mail travels protected via ssl to your kolab server

If the kolab server relays the mail, it is normally forwarded unencrypted.
But that depends on you. You may choose to open ssl connections
to a variety of other domain's email servers, if they support it, etc. etc.