[Kroupware] FAQ question.

Thomas Zander kroupware@mail.kde.org
Tue, 25 Feb 2003 13:35:27 +0100

On Tue, Feb 25, 2003 at 01:20:16PM -0800, Martin Konold wrote:
> Am Montag, 24. Februar 2003 15:26 schrieb Thomas Zander:
>
> Hi Thomas,
>
> > A question I have had for some time, but never appeared on the website is
> > simple;
> >
> > why do I need a kolab server?
>
> Simply because setting up an IMAP server, MTA, LDAP, sasl for Kolab on your
> own etc. is very difficult and in addition the kolab server provides a nice
> web frontend.

A font-end for configurations, or something different?

> > I personally have no problem with trying a new client, but when I have to
> > also install a server long experience shows that becomes a magniture harder
> > to setup..
>
> Setting up your own server and maintaining it is much more complicated than
> using the kolab server.

Hmm, apt-get is not hard.
But anyway; the website says that I can find the sources on a url which then
contains 43 source packages. (most I hopefully don't need)
For some reason that does not sound very easy to setup...

So the kolab server provides the services of 4 standard protocols? Then I am
wondering why they are still provided in the sources package. Is it a front
end for existing services?
If so, then can you provide a bit more detail on the installation page on what
the server _is_ and how to install it.

It seems to me that for debian a good packaged dep (which depends on all
services you need) and a apt-source line will provide a smooth install without
installing 500Mb of stuff I allready have...

I must be misunderstanding something, since this sounds way too complicated..

Thanx.
--
Thomas Zander