[Kroupware] Re: Questions about Kmail IMAP-client

Paul de Vrieze kroupware@mail.kde.org
Fri, 21 Feb 2003 12:56:14 +0100

On Tuesday 18 February 2003 11:53, Marc Mutz wrote:
> On Tuesday 18 February 2003 04:42, martin.konold@erfrakon.de wrote:
> <snip>
>
> > Technically there is no reason why offline imap should be slower than
> > traditional IMAP in any case.
>
> You confuse offline IMAP with disconnected IMAP. The first one is using
> IMAP as a POP3 replacement (ie. fetch'n'delete), while the latter
> periodically reconnects to the server to sync local cache and remote
> server.

No, this is actually also offline IMAP. On-line IMAP gets notified by the
server of updates in the mailfolder. In this respect the (non-kroupware)
kmail is particularly misbehaved as it uses two connections when checking new
folders. There is no necessity for that at all. Considering autonotification
and a well-behaved IMAP server (we all know there are too many which aren't)
online imap should be faster.

Paul